Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mesob - Montclair, NJ


Up to now, I've resisted blogging about local restaurants, but as Montclair (12 miles west of NYC) has grown as a destination for Northern Jersey suburbanites, the dining options have made it, IMHO, blog-worthy...

I've been to Mesob a half-dozen times and one thing never fails. Regardless of my mood, appetite or dining partner, I will leave uncomfortably full. Sickeningly full. The culprit being that light (you think - ha!), spongy Injera (Ethiopian Bread). There are no utensils, so every bite is transported in the Injera as it absorbs the flavors and oils and herbs of the various dishes. Even better, the piles of stewed meats and vegetables are neatly arranged on a giant canvas of Injera. Just when you think you're completely full is when you dig into the bits of bread that have acted as a place mat and spent the meal soaking up flavor...

But don't get scared off. I'm quite certain my requirement to engorge myself with food is a character trait (read as: no self-control) and most "normal" people will simply stop eating when they are full. I am not familiar with this custom...

And it's more than a gimmick. The food is full of deep, fragrant flavors. Spicy, yes, but not simplistically so. My favorites are: Doro Tips (marinated chicken), Kitfo (Ethiopean beef tartare), and the Halibut (which I see isn't on their online menu, but was still on the menu when I was last in the restaurant)...

The decor is simple, but tasteful and inviting. A mesob is actually the straw(?) table that some of the diners use in the restaurant (there are still a number of "regular" tables), which is a customary Ethiopian eating table. It's small, but if you're a party of two it's perfect...

And as is the case with any downtown Montclair restaurant, since it's BYOB you get the opportunity to browse the tremendous (and unique) wine selection at Amanti Vino down the street. Just tell them what you're eating and they'll recommend something wonderful (I had a great Gewurztraminer)...

Cost: $$
Rating: 6.5/10.0

Mesob
515 Bloomfield Avenue
Montclair, NJ
973.655.9000

No comments: