Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crispo - NYC


Growing up in suburban New Jersey meant "family style Italian food" was as ubiquitious as Starbucks. Red sauce this, Parmigiana that. Some good, some bad. And while Italian American fare became comfort food for me, it's no longer what I'll seek out when seeking to expand my culinary horizons. Fair or not, I just don't find it that interesting any more. Which is what makes Crispo such a revelation...

I initially found Crispo on recommendation from my step-brother* whose Wall Street executive lifestyle has him entertaining and sampling some of NYCs best restaurants. And each time I've returned it's been consistently enjoyable...

The menu is exceptional. Broad, varied, but true to the core Italian ingredients and flavors that people know and love. The anitpasti or affettati allow you to sample anything that looks good, from the Prosciutto di San Daniele, Parmigiano & Figs to the Sausage Stuffed Sage Leaves. It's all good...

The entrees are solid, but it's really about the pastas. Whether the Orcchiette with Broccoli Rabe or the Bucatini alla Amatriciana or their award-winning Carbonara, they are all prepared with care and attention. The Carbonara's not too rich or too heavy. The Bucatini's cooked perfectly in a delicate, perfectly spiced sauce. I rarely eat much pasta any more, but when making a trip to Crispo's, it's a must...

If you're going w/ a group larger than 6 or so, I'd ask for the special room, it's a small room/alcove within the larger dining room that makes for a great, somewhat secluded time...

For what it is and for what it's trying to be, it's hard not to call Crispo: perfect...

Cost: $$
Rating: 8.5/10.0

Crispo
240 West 14th Street
NY, NY
212.229.1818


*Excerpt from email from said step-brother: "I have NO problem w/ you pawning off Crispo as your own discovery as long as I get some form of recognition. Even if said recognition comes in the form of an email forward that no one else will ever see. In the end it’s not about me, it’s about spreading culinary bliss. (That line should somehow make it into an entry on ihateshellfish.)"

No comments: