Friday, August 24, 2007

LOF - Amsterdam

My second time at LOF did not disappoint. Again, another "we go to the market everyday and only serve what's fresh" restaurant. But this place is two-for-two. One of the chefs (not sure if it's the one pictured in the exposed kitchen) is at least a co-owner, and there is a really nice neighborhood feel to the restaurant. Low-key and accessible, the quality of the food, however, is disguised by the simple surroundings.

Limited wine list of mostly Italian wines (only a couple by the glass), only ALFA beer (a nice local Dutch brew) available, and a very limited menu of essentially meat, fish or vegetarian.

Cured, salted Sirloin drizzled with chervil mayo
Pan-fried Halibut with sea weed , radishes and a fermented plum sauce

A simple meal prepared perfectly. I don't exactly know why, but they wouldn't agree with me when I called the sirloin a carpaccio. All I know, is that the paper-thin, cured meat was moist and melted in my mouth. Absolutely amazing. The halibut was as tasty a fish as I've had in a while, with the pale plum sauce and hearty sea weed combo making every bite a pleasure. I can't speak more highly of LOF. Any trip to Amsterdam should include a visit.

Rating: 8.5/10.0
Cost: $$$

LOF
Haarlemmerstraat 62

1013 ES
Amsterdam, Netherlands

020 6202997


2 comments:

debolichesycopas said...

Hola, vi tu blog por casualidad, está muy interesante. Tengo un blog donde me gustaría publicar bares o pubs del mundo. Te invito a que me envíes tu favorito

salud2
Tiranizan

StaceyR said...

Is it pronounced LOF, as in "LOF of bread" or maybe "I LOF you as much as my lederhosen."

Ha. I LOF out loud.