Friday, June 29, 2007

11 - Amsterdam


11 Restaurant and Bar is all about the view. That is not to minimize the menu, the see-and-be-seen vibe or the stark industrial approach to the 11th floor loft space (including the graffiti-tagged hallways and giant art-as-eroticism posters hanging in the elevator lobby). All that does just fine to compliment the view. In a city completely dominated by squat four and five story buildings, the converted mill rises about the city's downtown like a forgotten voyeur. Unfortunately, a recent condo project to the west blocks a small chunk of the 360 degree vista, but that matters little when you're sipping a white beer at ten at night with the summer sun still beaming. The latitudinal phenomenon that allows for an 11pm sunset and 4am sunrise is pure magic. I don't know how it would feel as a local - to swing from bleak winter days to endless summer nights - but for a summer visit to one of my favorite cities, it's ideal...

An unexpected 30-hour trip to Amsterdam is a prelude for a longer (purely recreational) stay next month, but a late dinner in the Eastern Docklands area (adjacent to the Central Station) made the quick turnaround worthwhile...

Escargots with gnocchi, Dutch lettuce and parsley butter
Spinach truffle risotto with asparagus, Beaufort cheese and water cress

Peach frangipane with lavender créme


I'm not exactly sure if white beer (or witbier) was the perfect pairing for my menu, but nor do I care because I am a huge fan of the European brew. It's light and citrusy and I love the little plastic muddle they deliver with it to pulverize the lemon. 11's brand of choice was Hoegarden, a Belgian beer that I'm told is available in the States...

The food was prepared with care and each course was enjoyable, although I can't say anything stood out. The snails were a little tougher than I had a couple of weeks ago at Artisinal (my one and only escargot experience to date) and the lavender was a little overpowering in the dessert (a frangipane is evidently, in this case, a Belgian almond pastry tart) but when you consider the view, I'd highly recommend experiencing this place for dinner. At a minimum, get a drink and stare out the window...

Rating: 6.5/10.0
Cost: $$$ (33 Euros for the prix fixe menu)

11 Restaurant and Bar
Oosterdokskade 3-5
1011 AD Amsterdam
020 62 55 999

No comments: